9.28.2009

Art: Prince Project and Mondigan Designs

It's been awhile. I've been drawing on and off, just got back from New York Anime Fest - where I actually learned a lot more about comic conventions. I might give one a shot. My table partner, Alitha, mentioned that audiences might really appreciate the pencil renders more.

During NYAF, someone asked me if I had a version of this in color. I said no, whereupon she lost interest in purchasing it. It's not that I don't like color - it's that, for that style - color actually takes away from the regality of the pieces. They are meant to look like emblems, carved in stone (which is why I'll never do one for a poppy, bubble-gum, neon rainbow, series). I've gotten comments before with, "Oh wow! You're really good. I just didn't see if when I walked by since it wasn't in color!"

Another issue about comic cons, though... The thing is while - with effort - I can draw super buff super heroes, I just prefer lean (read: scrawny) guys. So part of me is thinking I can't survive in the testosterone laden, fan-boy world. But maybe it's a good thing if I can reach out to those few female comic book nerds or at least offer something a little different than hard inks and harder abs.

Anywho, re-designing Rivek since I want to do a 3D model of him for a pseudo capstone. The bad part being the art department no longer has ZBrush. (Why? Why? Why?! *sob*)


On the same lengths, I'm trying to develop a video game - specifically MMO - visual style for the storyline. So, different nations have different fashions. This is Brennan - lots of straight cuts and square shapes, with shoulder guards, tunics, and high boots. It's a country of leather and religion where maintaining order - and thus, power - is top prioirty. Bohren- a full Brennan noble - is on the left, but I hated his arm, so I re-drew the same clothing style on Rivek - a half-Brennan - on the right, and now I hate his neck. Whatever, the point of this was clothes, not anatomy.


I also start a wiki to keep character data on, so I need some pictures to break up the massive amounts of text. This is my old roleplay character, Aidan. However, here, his eyes make him look like a butch lesbian woman, so I'll need to re-draw this. Oddly enough, My roommate said she might make out with him.


Another wiki headshot. Bohren. I think the facial aspects are accurate but a bit too youthful. I have to re-draw this one, too. Bad scan is bad.


Also, here are some sketches from the Prince Project. It still needs a lot of work. School has put the research phase on hold


I also quite want to do a sequential art project based on Mozart's Requiem. Basically, it'd be a pencil-rendered comic book (so, maybe a little more like a fine art book like Prince). But right now, I lack a story. I don't know what though! Should I connect it to my old work? Ah, I have no idea.

No comments: