3.24.2009

Sketches: Dominance War 2009 II

The big challenge has begun! I will be entering Dominance War for my Figure Modeling final. Here is my character's story:

He is an intellectual prodigy who graduated from a magical/medical school at twenty-one. He had been of wealthy ancestry and considerably sheltered from too much physical activity in favor of more academic pursuits. Therefore, when the war began, he applied to be a clericon.

War, of course, does not distinguish between soldier and healer. Especially war with demons. Two or three months since his enrollment, he received a victim who had been infected by a Death/Darkness demon. His previous knowledge proved useless, and the soldier died. Much to his chagrin, he contracted the disease as well, through a cut on his right palm. It warped his muscle tissue and caused his skin to flake, pale, and sprout yellow lesions.

Through fevered study, he created an item to stop the disease from spreading. The magic bandages could not bring back his self-amputated arm, but they became tentacle-like replacements. In place of his infected eye, he crafted a clockwork (non-magical) magnifying glass and linked it directly to his occipital lobe.

Despite this, he remains a diligent doctor and continues to tend to the wounded, now specializing in demonic attack. However, he suspects the disease may have entered his brain, because he has recently been hallucinating before bed.

I began with some contour sketches. When that failed, I moved on to just defining his equipment and gear, which ended up helping. I chose to refine the design on the far right - dropped the lab coat and priest ideas in favor of the field medic one.


Draw him bigger, so I could see exactly what he was wearing. This ended up way too stiff to be a final sketch, but it's a much better idea of the clothing detail. Unfortunately, it doesn't give too much view of anything anatomical.


So, here, I just did some sketches with stance and figure. I hope they're not too light. I wanted something less straight-up-and-down for the contour, so I widened his shoulders and shrank his waist.


Right now, I'm working on an orthographic projection, the base mesh, changing the clothing in minor ways, and a more interesting "final" sketch to work off of. And a name (I've been using "surgeon general" so far...). He hasn't got a name. I think the part I'm most worried by is the poly-count. I'm at 1500 so far, and that's not including head or clothing.

No comments: