7.08.2009

Art: Akon 2009

A-kon came and went with minimal profit. Either I've been miscalculating the other years I've done this, or my profitability is getting worse. Anyhow, I did a huge number of commissions at this con. These are just the ones I managed to remember to photograph.

This is someone's bard OC. She also commissioned my table partner, Korilin. I feel I could have done better, but I was undercharging since I panicked.


A chibi commission. They sold like hotcakes at only $5 each. I'm beginning to regret making my commissions less than my prints.


Another one. This guy was dressed as Wario, so I went for a different style.


The next two were commissioned by two people I knew from Gaia, who commissioned me the year before. I liked how these ended up. Enough that I wish they had bought color so that they would turn out better. It's two gay couples.


They had some nice reference art, too. The lady seemed surprised I recognized and remembered her characters names - I'd drawn them in high school before! Man, I don't suck nearly as bad now. Just somewhat.


This guy never came to pick up. Every time I called him, he sounded half-asleep. He said it was his first con, so U wonder what trouble he got into.


One thing, is when someone brings me a moe ref, I get really confused and I tend to draw something out of my comfort zone to try and recapture that moe feel whether the client actually wants that or my style. I feel my prices sometimes lend myself to being a commission Wal-mart, that people aren't getting my work for my work - they're getting it because it's inexpensive. So, commissioned, if you were reading this - a) nice Lelouche costume and b) I apologize if I misinterpreted your reference.


Okay, then is gets kind of ridiculous but kind of awesome. There were identical triplets at A-Kon, and the first day, one of them bought a chibi from me (not displayed). The next day, they all came back again - each one wanting one, and then one of all three of them together! Then, they came back again on Sunday and each bought another one. So, effectively, I drew the same character eight times. T




Someone wanted herself with Roy Mustang. I like the short, dark, hair, types, so I was happy to oblige. I am trying to post my chibis is less boring manners.


This is more ridiculous than the triplets. Someone asked me to draw McCoy from Star Trek (not pictured). Someone else then asked if I could draw Spock - shirtless. Someone else comes by and is like "OMG"... and asks for their own shirtless Spock!



Someone wanted an angry Pikachu. This was ridiculously fun, even though it took around ten minutes.


At A-kon, I tend to get a lot of parents asking for portraits of their children.


Finally, this was another oneof my favorites. It was an original character commission, and I was working from text description. I hadn't gotten many OCs, so I went a little over the top. My forte, if I do say so myself. She was very happy with it and even used it as a reference to commission Allison! I was honored.

1 comment:

jess said...

Cons tend to be pretty profitable for just taking commissions, if you have the time to do the art? I never really thought about going to one because I don't feel like drawing a bunch of fanart to make prints out of, but original character commissions are niceynice if I can figure out how to draw quickly. Hmm.