4.09.2009

Sketches: Ave Maria I

For pieces I want to turn out very well, I usually invest a lot of time sketching in development. Ave Maria is an idea I had in freshman year, but only now do I feel I have the skill to attempt it.

I tend to find one semi-famous person for each of my character references. Torino Bronze Medalist, figure skater Jeffrey Buttle, is my reference for Kai because he's got the hair and a perfect, goofy smile (I hope, if he ever sees this by some off chance, that he doesn't find this creepy). While searching, I came across this, a picture of his routine to Schubert's "Ave Maria":


I have always had a thing for old church music - it's so beautiful, so sensitive. As non-religious as I am, I can see why it would bring people closer to God. Mary, as the mother of Jesus, has a much gentler, parental association. One of Kai's notable traits (other than "pirate") is that his father abandoned him when he was young, and he in turn, is a teen father. Much of his personality is defined by a dichotomy of whimsy and hedonism versus regret and responsibility. Since I created him, though, I knew he die before his child was born. The concept behind Ave Maria is this sensitive, private, moment where Kai, just seventeen, knowing that the next mission might just kill him, is scared enough - for both himself and his unborn child - to actually pray.

On to background sketches, outfit sketches, pose sketches, facial sketches... (I always forget where his piercings are...) Many just go unfinished.


Often, I do sketches and writing which don't directly relate, but have some character development story-wise (too short or unfinished to be standalone pieces themselves). The easiest way for me to get into a narrative is to change my mood - an easy thing to do with music. So, with the power of YouTube, I found this glorious version of Ave Maria - not Schubert's, but it had more of the feel I wanted. Turn it up, her voice is gorgeous. (I can't believe she's my age... I feel so unaccomplished).



You betrayed me. Kaiaden glared at the traitor through swollen eyes. "I trusted you."

"They should have never selected a boy to run a ship. Let alone one who's too small to hold his own in a fight and can't keep it in his pants." The child. "Not even with his own sister." His child. "Captain, my ass."

"Better than some hard-headed, uneducated, boor like yourself." He spat in the larger man's face, saliva mized with blood.

The former lieutenant slammed his axelike arm between Kai's shoulderblades, and the youth crumpled to his knees. "Words. That's all you have ever been good for." He turned to the army guards. "Take him away. I want him dead by nightfall."

"Andel, I am still your captain. If you really want to kill me, you will at least have the decency to do it on my ship."

He picked up Kai's own sword and placed the curved blade on the back of his neck. "If that is what you really want, so be it." The only sound that followed was his head rolling across the deck and the sea batting at the hull.

"My pleasure."


Sorry to subject you to my bad, emo fiction writing. I scrawled that during class. This is the closest to full body that I have drawn Kai in years. I also have a deep-seated fear that my real-life friends read about my story work and think I'm nuts.

2 comments:

Tory said...

<3

can i make you listen to my shore band music someday? it's not quite the same but it's the (personally) most inspirational music for me

Croon said...

I think I might cry. D:
You have a ridiculous amount of depth to your characters. DDx <3333