1.10.2009

Sketches: Weihsin's Commission

A long time ago in a galazy not too far away, an incredibly kind, patient man whom I met at Otakon commissioned me for a piece that I was ecstatic to do. It took me awhile because there was a lot of research involved, but I'm starting on the actual sketches now... and there's still a lot of research involved. I'm trying to venture into new territory.

So, he gave me four Chinese characters - happiness, joy, sadness, and anger. And I was meant to personify them. Now, it became that each of these four emotions could be associated with four cardinal directions, and with four directions comes four countries, four colors, four elements, and four animals.

The turtle represents the North, happiness, water, and the color black. So, I chose to draw a girl in black Korean hanbok, looking up at the snow (snow being frozen water and 'up' being north on the page).


This is the sketch I will tranfer to watercolor paper.


Next, there was the tiger, which represents the West, white, metal, and sadness. I chose to do a Tibetan girl with a white tiger, sitting among swords and spears. I haven't finished the final sketch yet, though. Tigers are difficult to draw.


Four posts in one night. I must be going crazy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The sketches are lovely! The pic of the girl on the turtle is gorgeous, I love her expression.

Joyce said...

These are gorgeous! I especially love the turtle sketches. :)


And I just realized i don't follow your blog (like that automatic thingy) /fail 8D;;;